Monday, February 7, 2011

Fareplay

Sunday afternoons are like Christmas. The anticipation rising as each morning minute passes. Different ingredients dancing through my head as I frantically try to compliment one with the next.

On occasion, this obsession has proven to be problematic for me. Conference calls are interrupted by visions of baked tilapia drowning in mango chutney. My leftovers from last night's experiment taunting me in the office fridge as I work towards a looming deadline.

But not on Sundays.

Sundays I bask in my obsession. I let my mind wander from India, to Italy. Nagoya to New Orleans. "What about a curried chicken and watercress panini? No, no, too obvious." "Oooh, I know, salmon stir-fry with a light lemon ginger jus! No, too similar to Monday." Finally, sometime after noon, I go to my local grocer, which by all means is no ordinary market. As I walk through the doors, I ponder the age old question: What's for dinner?

Just recently my "fareplay" obsession has kicked in. I have always been a foodie, with a dramatic flare. A scientist in the kitchen, uniting unlikely pairs in delicious matrimony. Unwrapping the fresh fish, tomatillos, garlic, farfalle, etc is no less thrilling than unwrapping a Vuitton on Christmas morning. It is just that good.


Baked Lime Tilapia with Mango Pico De Gallo over Wild Rice

Ingredients: (Bare with me, I made this up)

-4 Tilapia Filets
-1 box of whole grain wild rice. (Don't skimp, get the good stuff.)
-4 Tomatillos
-1 large tomato
-1 Sweet onion
-Cilantro
-5 juicy limes
-1 large ripe avocado
-1 large juicy mango
-Seasoned Salt
-Fresh ground pepper
-1 Jar of salsa verde, (if not, 2 jalapenos)
-1 canister of Panko breadcrumbs (The flaky stuff they use for tempura)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350.

Make the rice, it takes longer than the fish. Read the box and follow the instructions.

Chop all of the fruits/veggies (minus the limes) into small cubes and place in a mixing bowl. Pour in some of the salsa verde, enough to coat the chopped goodness. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Don't go overboard, people...less is more. Squirt in the juice of three large limes, and toss.

Place salsa verde over the fish, enough to coat the surface. Roll each filet in the panko bread crumbs, just enough to cover them. Then, place the tilapia in tin foil (sprinkle a little olive oil in there..) and then in a baking dish. Then, slice lime, and place on top of each filet. Bake for about 30 minutes(ish?)

When everything is ready, spoon the rice onto your plate. Place the tilapia filet over the rice and then top the fish with a healthy serving of the mouthwatering mango pico de gallo.

Bask in the compliments of your guests.

3 comments:

  1. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich on 12 Grain bread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! It is reallllly delicious and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete